[box type=”tick” style=”rounded” border=”full”]Prep Time: 7 Minutes | Servings: 4 | Difficulty: Easy[/box]
Passion fruit juice is such a refreshing drink. In Fiji, people love to eat them fresh or make a simple three ingredient drink. Growing your own fresh passion fruit is quite simple. You plant the seeds and once the sun hits its leaves, they grow a mile a minute!
Some passion fruit turn yellow when ripe and others turn a beautiful shade of purple (like the first image above).
Just be sure to eat them while fresh as they begin to wrinkle very quick. Although this does not mean that the fruit has gone bad, it just loses its firm texture. Try this very simple recipe for a refreshing drink…
- 2 Ripe Passion Fruit
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- Ice Cubes – Optional
- Mix together water (room temperature) and sugar into a jug. Stir till all the sugar is dissolved completely. This takes a few minutes
- Halve the fruits and scoop out the seeds and all the juices into the jug and mix well
- Taste the drink and add more sugar if needed (sometimes the passion fruit tends to be a bit more acidic so the sugar needs to be adjusted)
- Add a few ice cubes, stir, taste and balance the flavours
- Serve on a hot sunny day in a tall glass with a straw and umbrella for the complete tropical experience.